My completed re-creation of Ripley’s Hoptimist. This was a simple project, only requiring the addition of a little sleeping cap to complete.
Dragon-Con is over for this year, so the urgency to work on costume related projects is now gone. I needed something light and easy to work on this weekend, so I decided to make a re-creation of one of the little bouncy toys that can be seen happily hopping away at Ripley’s station on the bridge of the Nostromo. Now, when I say it can be seen, I really mean it can just barely be seen, heavily covered in shadow. Luckily, there are others who are seemingly just as obsessed with this movie as I am who have posted decent pictures of this little guy. If you are interested in seeing these pictures you should check them out over on this thread at the Propsummit Forum. If you scroll down a little bit, you can see a picture of Ripley’s station and her Hoptimist sitting on top of her monitors.
Amazingly enough, these toys are still being made! I had to order mine from RoyalDesign.com. I picked up the Blue Hoptimist Bumble. There are others that look very similar (the Baby Bumble in particular, but it is too small), but to match Ripley’s I needed the one with the open eyes and long legs. I had actually ordered one quite some time ago, shortly after completing the Drinking Birds. Shipping took a little bit of time since it actually came from Europe. In any case, all that is required to transform this toy into something resembling the version seen on screen is to sew up a nice little hat. Continue reading
I have finally come the the final part of the “core” costume–the pants. I have been trying to brainstorm how I’m going to re-create the pants from the movie for a while. The originals were custom made by Bermans and Nathans for the film, and have several features that aren’t really duplicated by “off the shelf” pants. Making up a pair of pants that are an exact match would require drafting the pattern myself. I decided that wasn’t a good idea since I’ve never sewn a pair of pants before, so I settled on altering a pair of Dickies Painter’s Pants. They are made out of 100% cotton drill fabric, which seems to be a good match for the shirt that I made. I actually purchased two pair, because one is going to get torn apart as a sacrifice to all of the pockets I need to add. I’m not sure exactly what they expected the Nostromo crew to be stuffing pockets with, but they have more than enough space with cargo pockets on each thigh and humongous bag pockets on the lower portion of each leg. Even though altering the painter’s pants won’t give me a completely screen accurate pair of pants, they will be pretty darn close. Continue reading
This post will be short and to the point. Here are the patterns for the Nostromo Crew Shirt that I promised in a previous post. Included in the PDF are my takes on the Breast Pockets, Breast Pocket Flaps, Sleeve Pocket, Name Tape Holder, Shoulder Patch, and Epaulettes. I don’t make any claim to complete screen accuracy here, and I think if I were to make another shirt I would make the shoulder patches a little taller (2″ tall overall,) and make the epaulettes wider (again, about 2″ wide.) Overall, I think these patterns make a very good approximation of the Nostromo Crew Shirt.
Nostromo Shirt Patterns
So far, I think I have an audience of zero, but maybe by the 40th Anniversary of the movie people will be making this costume again and it will be of use to someone. Enjoy!