My completed re-creation of Ripley’s Hoptimist. This was a simple project, only requiring the addition of a little sleeping cap to complete.
Dragon-Con is over for this year, so the urgency to work on costume related projects is now gone. I needed something light and easy to work on this weekend, so I decided to make a re-creation of one of the little bouncy toys that can be seen happily hopping away at Ripley’s station on the bridge of the Nostromo. Now, when I say it can be seen, I really mean it can just barely be seen, heavily covered in shadow. Luckily, there are others who are seemingly just as obsessed with this movie as I am who have posted decent pictures of this little guy. If you are interested in seeing these pictures you should check them out over on this thread at the Propsummit Forum. If you scroll down a little bit, you can see a picture of Ripley’s station and her Hoptimist sitting on top of her monitors.
Amazingly enough, these toys are still being made! I had to order mine from RoyalDesign.com. I picked up the Blue Hoptimist Bumble. There are others that look very similar (the Baby Bumble in particular, but it is too small), but to match Ripley’s I needed the one with the open eyes and long legs. I had actually ordered one quite some time ago, shortly after completing the Drinking Birds. Shipping took a little bit of time since it actually came from Europe. In any case, all that is required to transform this toy into something resembling the version seen on screen is to sew up a nice little hat. Continue reading
The completed Aspen Beer cans. I made three, one for me, one for my wife, and one for our buddy Rich. Cheers!
I came up with the idea of recreating these beer cans from Alien some time ago. I held off posting about the build because I wanted to surprise our friend Rich with one at this year’s Dragon Con. Now that he has been presented with his beer, I can add this to the blog!
It just goes to show how large a corporation Weylan Yutani is that they even brew the beer the crew drinks. This was a pretty straight forward build once I found good reference for the can label. It all boiled down to recreating the label in Adobe Illustrator so that I could then print them out on blank water-slide decal sheets. I got the ones meant for laser printers and used the white film version since the design uses white in the sheaves of wheat and I am unable to print white since I don’t have access to an ALPS printer. Continue reading
So now that our 2015 Dragon Con is over, and I have made my first costuming effort, my initial reaction is to be a little bit bummed. I spent the entire day Saturday in my Nostromo uniform, starting off in the Dragon Con Parade. The parade was actually fun to see from the other side for once. The crowds were absolutely enormous. When you are sitting on the side of the road watching you see a LOT of people right around your spot, but when you actually walk the parade it really hits home how many people come out to see this thing. The sidewalks are absolutely packed with people at least four to five rows deep for about 9/10 of a mile. Continue reading
I have finally come the the final part of the “core” costume–the pants. I have been trying to brainstorm how I’m going to re-create the pants from the movie for a while. The originals were custom made by Bermans and Nathans for the film, and have several features that aren’t really duplicated by “off the shelf” pants. Making up a pair of pants that are an exact match would require drafting the pattern myself. I decided that wasn’t a good idea since I’ve never sewn a pair of pants before, so I settled on altering a pair of Dickies Painter’s Pants. They are made out of 100% cotton drill fabric, which seems to be a good match for the shirt that I made. I actually purchased two pair, because one is going to get torn apart as a sacrifice to all of the pockets I need to add. I’m not sure exactly what they expected the Nostromo crew to be stuffing pockets with, but they have more than enough space with cargo pockets on each thigh and humongous bag pockets on the lower portion of each leg. Even though altering the painter’s pants won’t give me a completely screen accurate pair of pants, they will be pretty darn close. Continue reading