In my last post I mentioned a few alterations that needed to be made to the PF Flyers. The first steps are to remove the branding from the shoes and get the colors right.
Removing the PF Flyers Logo Medallion from the Uppers
This was by far the easiest alteration to make. Just a little bit of work with the trusty ol’ seam ripper and the medallion just peels right off. There was a little bit of adhesive underneath that left a small yellowish stain on one of the shoes, but I plan on wearing the shoes around so they don’t appear brand new anyway, so I guess the dirt just has a head start.
Removing The PF Flyers Logo from the Heel
The little green logo on the back of the heel had to go. I couldn’t tell if it was heat bonded into place, glued, or whatever, but in any case the solution was the same: cut that sucker off. I just did my best to cut it off with my trusty pocket knife. Something with a little thinner blade (X-Acto knife) might have been a better choice, but I keep the blade sharp, so it did a decent job. I actually cut the little logo off of two pairs of shoes, since my wife is also making a pair, so by the time I got to the fourth shoe I think I hit on the technique to use. The thing that seemed to work best was to get a cut under one corner so that you could lift it up. Once you are able to get that corner up you can keep a little tension on it, like you are trying to peel it off, and just keep the knife slicing along the intersection so that you are basically “skinning” it off of the heel. Be careful though, on one shoe I pulled a little too hard and pulled up a little bit of the white rubber underneath, exposing a tiny dot of what looks like fabric underneath. What I was left with doesn’t match the texture of the rest of the little rubber strip running around the bottom of the shoe, but it is a very small patch and it almost imperceptible from any distance.
Painting the Heel Ribbon White
The next step was to cover up that red, white, and blue ribbon running up the rear of the heel. I picked up a little bottle of Tulip Soft Matte Fabric Paint in Glacier White at the local JoAnn fabric and craft store, and proceeded to paint over the ribbon. It is always more difficult to cover darker colors with white, so the name of the game was just to be patient and apply multiple thin layers until the ribbon was the same color as the rest of the shoe. In the end it ended up taking four coats.
I think I have sourced the supplies I need to add the D-Rings for the lacing. As soon as they arrive I am going to test them out. I still have to decide if I want to add that third vent hole to the sides. If I can find eyelets that will look like the ones already on the shoes I will probably end up doing it. That is assuming that I can get the eyelet attachment tools to work on a shoe that is already assembled. I guess I’ll burn that bridge when I get to it… Below you can see the before and after shots of my efforts so far: